About Jane Marie Manco
Raised in Brooklyn N.Y., Jane aspired to be an artist. She began her studies at the Brooklyn Museum of Art; went on to complete her BFA in Illustration from the Parsons School of Design in New York, and received her Masters Degree in Art Education.
After earning a degree from the Parsons School of Design, Jane launched a career in graphic design and illustration for a national advertising partnership, and MTV Networks.
Thereafter, Jane transitioned to studio painting, as well as pursued an opportunity as an art educator in NYC, where she taught drawing, painting and graphic design.
Presently, Jane is sharing her time between NYC and Cape Cod MA , and paints professionally in her studio in the tradition of classical realism. Jane trained at the Academy of Realist Art - Boston, and is continuing her development at the Florence Academy of Art (US) . Jane's work is represented by galleries in Massachusetts.
Recently, Jane was the recipient of the Philip Isenberg Memorial Award for work exhibited at the Salmagundi Club NYC. She was also a FINALIST at the Richeson75 International Small Works competition; the 10th Biennial National Art Exhibition juried by Jeffery T. Larson - held at the Visual Art Center in Punta Gorda, Florida, and "The Artist's Magazine" 33rd Annual Art Competition .
It is my belief that still life painting stems from the close observation of reality. I have found that the apparent stillness which material things seem to embody is set into motion through the act of seeing, drawing and painting. Through close scrutiny and observation one comes to the realization that nothing in nature is really still. Forces are at work while friction and tension permeate all, including the very act of seeing, drawing and painting. Material things have weight, volume, mass, color, position and a relationship to each other. These perceptions are as fleeting as the light that transforms what and how we see. Perhaps, still life paintings are a way to salvage something from the unremitting process of entropy and decay, a way of bringing temporary permanence to that which is fleeting.
These paradoxes drew me to still life painting. I find that still life presents infinite arrangements. I am able to manipulate both the reality at hand and the formal elements of painting color, line, tone and composition. It has come to represent the essence of what painting has always been, that which is still, visual and silent. It is an echo of our existence and the trace of our passing.
- Florence Academy of Art - US - (2017 - Present)
- The Academy of Realist Art - Boston ( 2014 - 2017)
- Parson School of Design (NYC) - Alumni Member
- Salmagundi Club - (SCNY)
- Wethersfield Academy for the Arts - CT.
- Art Renewal Center (ARC)
- Arts Foundation of Cape Cod
- Cape Cod Museum of Art
- Provincetown Art Association and Museum (PAAM)
SHOWS/ Grants/ Awards:
- Salmagundi Club - Auction Benefit / Heritage Auctions NY - May 2018
- Post Office Gallery /Truro Public Library - The Properties of Green Exhibit - Selected artist to represent still life realism - May 2018
- Salmagundi Club Annual Members' Exhibition - Recipient of the D. Wu & Elsie Ject-Key Memorial Award - May 2018
- Salmagundi Club Centennial Show - March 2018
- Larkin Gallery Inc. - Black & White Group Exhibit - February 2018
- Salmagundi Club - Greenwich Village Exhibition - February/March 2018
- Arts Foundation of Cape Cod Winter Exhibit at The Cotuit Center for the Arts - Jan/Feb 2018
- Salmagundi Club Annual Members' Exhibit - Centennial Celebration - November 2017
- Salmagundi Club Mystery Palette Fundraiser - Centennial Gala - November 2017
- The Guild of Boston Artist Regional Juried Exhibition - September/October 2017
- Salmagundi Club (SCNY) - Member Summer Show - Recipient of the Philip Isenberg Memorial Award - August 2017
- PAAM Members Summer Art Exhibit and Silent Auction - Provincetown Museum - July / Sept 2017
- Richeson75 International Small Works - Published 2017 Collectible Exhibit Book - May 2017
- Richeson75 International Small Works Juried Competition Finalist & Gallery Exhibit Kimberly, WI. - February/April 2017
- Arts Foundation of Cape Cod Juried "Winter Art Exhibit - Personal Space" at The Cotuit Arts Center - Jan / Feb 2017
- Richeson75 International Animals, Birds & Wildlife - Published 2016 Collectible Exhibit Book - February 2017
- The "Artist Magazine" 33rd Annual Art Competition Juried Finalist - Published January/March 2017
- Richeson75 International Animals, Birds & Wildlife Juried Art Exhibit Merit Award Winner - December 2016
- All New England Juried Show (CCAA) - Oct/November 2016
- Salmagundi Club - (SCNY) Painting and Sculpture Non - Member Juried Exhibit - Merit Award Winner-Oils - July 2016
- Cape Cod Art Magazine 2016 Annual Issue - "An Artist Profile * Interview Oil Painter - June 2016
- PAAM - Members' Juried Exhibition Spring Show - May 2016
- Richeson75 International Floral & Still Life Juried Art Exhibition Finalist - April 2016
- Richeson75 International Floral & Still Life - Published 2016 Collectible Exhibit Book - March 2016
- Visual Arts Center - 10th National Biennial Juried Exhibition, Punta Gorda, FL. – NAE Juried Merit Award Winner - February 2016
- Arts Foundation of Cape Cod “Balancing Act” Juried Exhibition at the Cotuit Arts Center - January 2016
- PAAM Members' Exhibit Juried Silent Auction - (2015)
- PAAM Members' Juried Open Exhibition Show - (2015)
- Post Office Gallery - North Truro MA. "Weather'd" Juried Exhibit - (2015)
- Post Office Gallery - North Truro MA. "Home" Juried Exhibit - (2015)
- PAAM 100, A Century of Inspiration– Members' Juried Exhibition - Highlighted in the Provincetown Banner -(2014-2015)
- Exhibited in Teaching Traditions: Selections from the Lillian Orlowsky and William Freed Museum School at PAAM (2012 - 2013)
- Cape Cod Art Association Juried Art Exhibit – Multiple (CCAA) Award Winning selections. (2011 – 2014)
- JP MORGAN/ COAHSI RE-GRANT – Oil Paintings of Immigrants/ New York City (2011)
- Broome Street Gallery NYC/UFT Group Show – Exhibited landscape oil paintings (2011)
- Salmagundi Club - ( SCNY) - Non Member Juried Open Exhibition - (2010)